You should know that TVs and TV deals all begin with an annual cycle. It starts with CES in January which is when new televisions are unveiled. CES stands for the Consumer Electronics Show, which is an annual trade show organized by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). It is the most influential tech event in the world where groundbreaking technologies and global innovators are showcased. In the spring and summer, most of the new TV models become available and are at the highest price they will ever be. At the same time, manufacturers and retailers want to get rid of older models, so they then offer discounts on last year's TVs.
You get the best deals in the fall which culminate in Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Note, however, that the biggest discounts are normally with no-name brands or lower-end models from name brands.
Gigantic discounts are actually not the norm because TVs typically don't have much of a markup. Additionally, most of the large manufacturers don't allow retailers to offer their own pricing (called unilateral pricing policy). A unilateral pricing policy (UPP) is a pricing strategy used by manufacturers that involves announcing a minimum resale price for a product. This policy is set by the manufacturer and does not involve any agreement or negotiation with resellers. The manufacturer then has the right to refuse sales to any reseller who advertises or sells the product below the minimum price set by the UPP. With UPP it generally means that whether you are shopping on Amazon or in Walmart, the same model will be sold at roughly the same price.
With this mind, there are several good times of the year to buy a TV at a discounted price:
- Super Bowl season - typically during the final weeks of the NFL regular season, which usually starts on the Thursday after Labor Day in September and ends in late December or early January. The Super Bowl itself is usually played on the first Sunday in February, but the exact date can vary from year to year.
- Black Friday - a major shopping holiday that takes place on the day after Thanksgiving. It traditionally marks the start of the Christmas shopping season and it is known for the many sales and discounts that retailers offer both in-store and online. In 2023, Black Friday will fall on November 24th, which is the fourth Friday in November. The exact date can vary from year to year, but it always falls on the day after Thanksgiving.
- Cyber Monday - an annual online shopping event that takes place on the first Monday after Thanksgiving, which means it is typically in late November or early December. In 2023, Cyber Monday will fall on November 27th. During Cyber Monday, many retailers offer exclusive online sales and discounts on a wide range of products, including electronics, clothing, household items, and more.
- When new models are released, usually between February and April
- Amazon Prime Day - a shopping event that offers deals exclusively for Amazon Prime members. It typically takes place in the summer, and in 2023, it is scheduled to be on July 11th and 12th. During Prime Day, Amazon offers discounts on a wide range of products from various brands. Some of the products available at a discounted price during Amazon Prime Day include electronics, home appliances, clothing, and many other items.
- Before holiday weekends
In the end, the best time to buy a TV depends on personal preference and timing, as different retailers may have different promotions and sales throughout the year.